May 17, 2011

Homemade Playdough!

I finally found a homemade playdough recipe that I love!  I've tried several, and you're probably thinking, she's never posted anything about homemade playdough.  And you're right, I haven't.  Because I didn't like any of them.  Some come out gooey, no matter what, some are grainy, some smell gross, some go bad in a few days, but this one meets all my requirements.  I love the feel of it, the scent, and it's super easy.  When I showed it to the Hubby, his response was, 
"Hey, that actually looks like Play-Doh."  
I heard about it from Meg, she got it from Marina, and she got it from Tiny Bird Organics.
If you don't want to follow the links, the ingredients and instructions are at the bottom of this post.   
 Whenever a recipe calls for oil, I generally use Olive Oil.  Unless it very expressly states to use a specific type.  I had bought Walnut Oil for a food recipe, and this big bottle is all they had.  So I used it for this, thinking that perhaps it would add a pleasing nutty aroma.  Honestly, I can't tell.
 It has to sit after you cook it on stove.  I didn't think to take a picture of the concotion while it was on the stovetop-the instructions say stir constantly, so I was too busy for it anyway.
Once there was enough for everyone, I lost my helpers.  Ahh, well, that's okay, I understand.  I really enjoy this stuff-very nice to mold and smash.

The orginal recipe made a pound, but I halved it, since I didn't know if I would like it or not.  I'll save you the trouble and give you both sets of measurements.

To make one pound-
1.5 cups of flour
1/3 cup of salt
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1.5 cups water
1.5 tablespoons oil
Food Coloring


To make 1/2 a pound
3/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons & 1.5 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
3/4 cup water
4 teaspoons oil
Food Coloring

Mix dry ingredients in stove-top pan.  Add wet ingredients, including food coloring, if you want.  Cook over medium heat, sitrring constantly until thick.  It takes about 5 minutes for it to turn into a single mass, the longer you cook it, the more solid and less sticky it will be when you take it out of the pan.
Set dough on plate/countertop/whatever and let it cool for 3 minutes.  Knead it into a ball.  If it's to sticky, add flour and cook a little longer next time.
You can get really organic with this if you use natural food dyes, which I didn't b/c I didn't want to take the time and effort.  Remeber that it takes 3-4 times as much red dye to make anything truely red and not pink.

Happy Thoughts Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment