January 14, 2011

Why did I decide to do this?

I had this great idea.  A recycling combined with using my stash o' stuff idea.  But well, it's turning out to be more difficult than I thought, and I have some actual, real work to do.  Can you see where this is going?  I'm trying hard not to shelf this, not to set it aside into the big heap of unfinished great ideas that pile to the ceiling around me.

Here's the idea.  A couple of years ago there was a wonderful white wool sweater in the hand-me-down bag for Eliz.  Unfortunately, it had been felted, and was very scratchy.  I set it aside, knowing that I could come up with a use for it.  I've used the sleeves to make cozies for the Thermic Bottles, and it got put back in the pile.  I few weeks ago I went to a party @ a friend's house and one of the other guests had this wonderful felted tree bottle cover/cozy that she had gotten, of course, from Etsy. I wanted one.  Badly. As I began cleaning out the sewing room, I found the sweater, and saw a butterfly needlepoint pattern from years ago that I knew I wanted to put on the sweater, and turn the sweater into a waterbottle cozy.  Problem is, felted wool is really not ideal for satin stitch.
 See, from far away, it doesn't look bad.
Really, even in this picture, it looks pretty good.  But it is not a good example of satin stitch.  I still love the idea, but as it's going to take longer than usual to get this done.  I've never used anything this thick to embroider on, but I'm convinced that the textural contrast of the wool and the (sort of) smoothness of the satin stitched butterflies will look beautiful.  Maybe it's just my love of butterflies that makes me think that.  I'm going to give this project a good deal of time for the next few days, maybe I can get to the point of no return, then I'll have to finish it. 

By the way, that whole cleaning out the sewing room thing?  Got it cleaned out, but getting it put back together has me stumped-now that I have room for things, where should they go?  I'll sit in my chair and work on my bottlewarmer while I figure that out. 

Happy Thoughts Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment