May 21, 2009

My Ugly Zipper

I would have pictures to go with this, but all of our rechargeable batteries have gone on strike-they aren't holding a charge-and I haven't gone to the store to buy more, so, just use your imagination until I add the pictures. I have a dress I'm "fixing" for someone. Not a big deal, the store bought dress fits just fine, she wants to change the skirt a bit and turn it into a halter style-all fairly easy. It's a denim dress, which just means using a heavy duty needle and going somewhat slowly-my machine is a very basic one and you have to take it easy or it'll eat your project. I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to vent about that sometime. So, I'm tearing out stitches, and I will admit, I'm trying to find the path of least resistance with this-ie, as little work as possible while still being well done. Then it hits me. I am going to have to mess with the zipper. Don't get me wrong, I love zippers. They are very important to the convenience of our clothes-can you imagine if we still tied all our clothes together?!-but, well, my zippers just don't usually look very pretty. And the zip on this dress isn't invisible-my preference, b/c then well, my ugly zip is invisible. So, I continued to seam rip and tear stitches, all the while, trying to find a way to avoid the *&%^$#@ zipper. But it's not going to happen. I won't have to take the entire zipper out, I don't think, and as long as I don't have to take it out and put it back in, we have hope. Hope that the dress will still be pretty, even with my rather lacking zipper skills. I can sew beautifully. Really, most everything I make is beautifully sewn-I make every effort to be sure that it's beautiful, but I just have artist's block when it comes to zippers. So, there's my pain, and my shame-I sew ugly zippers. Happy Thoughts anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment